Security is one of the major concerns every website designer has. That is why they try to ensure a secure environment for their website managers and users as possible.
IP address blocking is amongst the various methods chosen by website creators to guarantee a secure website environment.
What is an IP address?
The Internet Protocol Address (also known as an IP address) is a numerical identification of a device using a specific server on the web.
An IP address is written and identified as a set of numbers separated by dots. For example, 22.214.171.124 is an IP number of a particular user of a server.
Why block an IP address?
The larger your business is, the more effort you might be putting into having traffic on your website. This might include selecting a high-cost web hosting plan, getting into dedicated hosting, taking complete control over the server, etc.
You might even be willing to categorize your website sections professionally and do much more to provide a seamless user experience.
However, the higher your traffic is, the more probable it is for spammers to enter your website and attack it. Blocking unwanted visitors will turn your website into a more secure space and improve the experience of legitimate visitors.
IP address blocking also restricts your website content for certain groups or sections of people, i.g. residents of certain countries, users of specific applications, etc.
How to block an IP address?
Already knowing the main incentives of blocking an IP address, let’s try to understand what would be the best way to do that.
Most web hosting service providers, like Billioname, have the IP blocking option in the security section of cPanel. The process is simple and easy.
- Search for the IP Blocker in the security section of your cPanel menu.
- Enter the IP address you want to block into the brought window and add that IP address into the list of IP addresses you wish to block.
- Go back to the main menu and double-check to make sure the IP address is successfully added to the list of addresses you want to block.
Done! Congratulations! You have completed an important step to protect your website from unwanted traffic and to ensure a safe and convenient environment for your users.
IP address blocking through Windows Firewall
We just examined the way to block an IP address from your website. Now let’s take a look at how to do it from your computer using Windows Firewall.
- Look for “Windows Firewall” in the control panel of your computer.
- From multiple categories brought on your screen, select the “Advanced Settings.”
- Click on “Inbound Rules” on the left side.
- Afterward, click on “New Rule.” Once you have completed this step, a new window will open on your screen, which will ask you to choose the type of rule you want to set.
- Select “Custom” from the brought options.
- Now you are asked which IP addresses you want to block. You can choose the “Any IP address” option, restricting all the visitors with IP addresses. Otherwise, select the “These IP Addresses” button and type the IP address you want to block.
- Select the “Block the connection” option
- Name the blocking activity.
You are done!
How to allow access of IP address into your network
When blocking specific IP addresses from your network, it is also essential to be familiar with the techniques of enabling those addresses back. The incentives of this might be various. For example, you can block a wrong IP address by mistake and want to allow access to it again. This is why we should also consider gaining awareness of the way the IP address allowance takes place.
The steps for this are even simpler than those for blocking. Referring to Windows Firewall again, as a tool we have already familiarized ourselves with. It is a matter of seconds to allow access to the users whose IP addresses you have blocked.
- Go back to the “Inbound Rules” section.
- Double Click on the IP address you have blocked and want to allow access now.
- Tap “Allow the connection.”
- Click “Apply“.
That’s it! Quick and simple!
Keeping an eye on your traffic sources is a must-do step, especially if you are a fast-growing business with consistently increasing traffic to your website. Maintaining the website environment neat and secure for your users will make you look reliable and trustworthy for them and the search engines, too.
Remember that the probable attacks by specific IP addresses will harm the legitimate users of your website and hurt your ranking on the search engines. Therefore, it is in your own benefit to keep track of your website visitors’ identities and block the users that bring unwanted traffic to your website.